California’s latest legislation, SB 1175, would ban both the importation and possession of eight commonly hunted African species, including taxidermy received after 2020. These species include: elephant, lion, leopard, rhino, giraffe, hippo, hyena, and zebra. This is an overreach by California, and in no way would this bill benefit these wildlife species.
Please contact the California State Committee on Water, Parks and Wildlife and tell them to vote “no” to the Iconic African Species Protection Act (SB 1175). Below are talking points to use.
- This bill will violate the Endangered Species Act.
- In no way does this bill benefit California’s wildlife or conservation efforts.
- The survival of any of the listed species is not enhanced through this bill.
- This bill is unenforceable and would stretch California Fish and Game’s financial and time resources.
- African Wildlife Departments depend on revenue generated through hunting to conserve these species.